Currently, NEPED is focusing on six core programs, including
- Entrepreneurship Development as its core programmes.
This program aims to encourage capital formation at community level by promoting the small scale business enterprises through provision of both capacity building and direct financial support by extending non interest soft loans or revolving funds to help the poor access alternative resources.
- Water and Environmental Sanitation.
The harshness of the climate in the district is drought prone making life difficult for people depending on the livestock as their livelihoods. Critical water and food shortage increase level of migration diminished daily, food intake, poor livestock condition and subsequent mortality are also adapted in the area.
The water scarcity in the region is potentially catastrophic. However, some areas with large water pan can sustain for 3 to 4 months, and when the rainfall failed to harvest in the following month, the drought fall pose horrific and spectre to populate.
Water is the backbone for survival in the community, without it the health of the entire community will be jeopardized. Currently over all most all villages under Takaba district are facing acute access to safe drinking water as they are compounded with multiple challenges such as poor supply of clean water, poor sanitation and hygiene practise due to sharing of water pan with livestock.
- Supporting Orphans and most vulnerable.
Though NEPED is a growing CBO, it has supported in paying secondary school fees for 10 (6 boys and 4 girls) orphan children through this project. The beneficiaries are in the following forms. 3 have so far completed form 4 in the year 2008, 1 is currently in form 4, 3 are in form 2, and 3 are in form ones.
- Vocational Courses – (Computer for school leaver and Tailoring).
NEPED is planning to support youth in embracing new technology system in place to create job for the disadvantaged needy people. The project wish to open a technical computer and tailoring college to enable the poor people to get an opportunity of acquiring skills at their nearest needs to avoid youth drug abuse and create alternative way of finding their daily bread.
- HIV/AIDS and harmful practice (FGM).
• Is mainstreamed all NEPED programs and interventions. Pastoral communities of the Mandera West district, is vulnerable to HIV/AIDS because it is located to Ethiopia border, where traffic movement is between the two countries at the same time there remarkable number of trucks and light vehicles that travel back and forth.
• The culture of wife inheritance is more practice among the pastoral communities since it is cheaper to keep a widower than marrying a young girl.
• The pastoral communities still practice harmful female genital mutilation (FGM) as tradition and culture exercise.
Peace Building and conflict mitigation
- Peace Building and conflict transformation.
This is in response aimed at transforming conflict and destruction into a constructive force which produces social change, progressively removing or at least reduce the conditions from which the conflict or the violence arisen. NEPED undertakes civic education for peace, democracy and development to empower the civil society to take the initiative in the establishment of peace and good governance.